NEWTON, a township, conjoint with Scales, in Kirkham parish, Lancashire; on the river Ribble, and adjacent to the Preston and Wyre railway, 1¼ mile E S E of Kirkham. Acres, 1,525; of which 295 are water. Real property, £2,647. Pop., 286. Houses, 62. The property is subdivided. A blue-coat school, for maintaining, clothing, and educating poor native boys and girls, was founded here in 1707, by John Hornbie; was re-built in 1864; and has an endowed income of about £600.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)