Windsor Rd, Coppice, Congregational, Werneth
Windsor Rd, Coppice,
From the 1950s onwards it shared a minister with Ashton Road Congregational Church. It closed around 1970, possibly before.
They began holding services in the Mechanics' Institute at the junction of Manchester Street and Coppice Street. That was in August 1868 and in the following November they started a Sunday School. The mission became independent in 1870, but at this point had no church building of its own. Work began in 1874 and the chapel/school was opened the same year. It could seat 400 and cost £2,600. The church was still active in the years between the wars but has since been closed and demolished.
Source: The History of Oldham Churches by John Beever
- this church marked on a Google map. (Use this to report a corrected location)
- Google Streetview (Drag pegman to centre of map to show picture)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Google maps showing nearby churches with satellite image option.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves.
Help requiredThe information provided has been obtained from a number of sources and although every effort is made to avoid errors, just a few may be present. So if there are any please let us know. [Use the link at the bottom of this page].
We do not currently have the following information, and if you can provide it then please do so:
- We think we have the exact location of the church.
If not please look at the
and drag the church icon to the correct location. A balloon will then pop up, on which you will find a link to report the correct value.
- Do you have a picture of the church we could use? We don't
link to existing pictures already on the web without permission from
the copyright owner. If you have a .jpg or similar image then we can show it on this page.
See the notes on taking church pictures.
- We know the church has closed but do not know in which year this happened.
If you have any further information about the church that you think would be useful to other researchers then do get in touch.