"ORRELL and FORD, a township in Sefton parish, Lancashire; on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 4½ miles N of Liverpool. Acres, 728. Real property, £2,753. Pop. in 1851, 279; in 1861, 358. Houses, 57. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of trade in Liverpool. Most of the land belongs to the Earl of Sefton. Ford Lodge and Hatton Hall are chief residences."
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)