OSMOTHERLEY, a township in Ulverstone parish, Lancashire; 2 miles N W by N of Ulverstone. Acres, 1,140. Real property, £2,318. Pop. in 1851, 325; in 1861, 419. Houses, 81. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of mining operations. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. A church-school is here, and is used as a chapel of ease.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)