We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Pole Lane Independent, Darwen

Independent church,
Pole Lane,
Darwen
Lancashire

Cemeteries

The graveyard still contains 7 gravestones, the MI's have been transcribed, copy in Darwen Library.

Church History

The chapel was build by several families who broke away from Lower Chapel and it opened on 6th May 1793 with Rev. Townsend as its minister. In 1806 he was ejected from the pulpit and left with the registers and several of the congregation to built Townsend Chapel (or the Refuge) which opened in 1808. Both chapels continued to be used until 1822 when the two congregations amalgamated and as a result the Townsend Chapel was enlarged and renamed Ebenezer Chapel. It opened in 1822 and consequently Pole Lane Chapel was abandoned. The graveyard that surrounds that chapel continued to be used until the mid 1850s. It is unclear as to when the building was demolished but this must have taken place before the OS map of 1849 was published.

The Independent churches were ones in which each congregation was autonomous, upholding the principles of independence. In the 19th century they became known as Congregational.

Church Records

The National Archives hold:
  • Births 1736-1837
  • Baptisms 1793-1821
  • Deaths 1819-1821
  • Burials 1793-1794

Lancashire Record Office hold copies of:

  • Baptisms 1750-1837
  • Burials 1793-1794
Published by the Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society, (microfiche D6 - New Dissenting: Bap & Bur):
  • Baptisms 1792-1820
  • Burials 1792-1820
The IGI contains:
  • Baptisms - 1736-1837

Maps

The church is located at OS grid reference SD7027921439 (Lat/Lon 53.688546,-2.451539). You can see this on maps provided by: