HULTON (OVER), a township in Deane parish, Lancashire; near the Bolton and Leigh railway, 4 miles SSW of Bolton. Acres, 1,300. Real property, £9,145; of which £6,775 are in mines. Pop., 447. Houses, 87. The property, with Hulton Hall, belongs to W. T. Hulton, Esq. The hall is a modern edifice, with portico and semicircular wing; and stands in an extensive and tastefully disposed park.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)