WYERSDALE (Over), a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 4¾ miles E by N of Bay-Horse r. station, and 7 SE of Lancaster. Post town, Lancaster. Acres, 16,938. Real property, £4,728. Pop. in 1851, 680; in 1861, 524. Houses, 90. The decrease of pop. arose from the destruction, by fire, of a cotton factory. The manor belongs to H. Garnett, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £170.* Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church is plain. There are Quaker and Wesleyan chapels, and an endowed school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)