WYERSDALE (Over), a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 4¾ miles E by N of Bay-Horse r. station, and 7 SE of Lancaster. Post town, Lancaster. Acres, 16,938. Real property, £4,728. Pop. in 1851, 680; in 1861, 524. Houses, 90. The decrease of pop. arose from the destruction, by fire, of a cotton factory. The manor belongs to H. Garnett, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £170.* Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church is plain. There are Quaker and Wesleyan chapels, and an endowed school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Christ Church, Abbeystead Road, Church of England
- Emmetts, Wesleyan Methodist
- Plantation Lane, Abbeystead, Society of Friends
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Over Wyresdale area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Lancaster. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Over Wyresdale to another place. Lancaster. maps of Over Wyresdale and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD566547 (Lat/Lon: 53.986519, -2.663371), Over Wyresdale which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.