OVERTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Lune, within the peninsula between it and the sea, 2½ miles N N E of the river's month, and 3½ S W of Lancaster r. station; and occupies the site of a Roman settlement. The township contains also the hamlets of Sunderland and Saltmarshes, and bears the name of Overton and Sunderland. Acres, 6,314. Real property, £2,042. Pop. in 1851, 334; in 1861, 305. Houses, 67. The property is divided chiefly between two. The chapelry is conterminate with the township. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £155. Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church is ancient and has an open turret.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)