OVERTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Lune, within the peninsula between it and the sea, 2½ miles N N E of the river's month, and 3½ S W of Lancaster r. station; and occupies the site of a Roman settlement. The township contains also the hamlets of Sunderland and Saltmarshes, and bears the name of Overton and Sunderland. Acres, 6,314. Real property, £2,042. Pop. in 1851, 334; in 1861, 305. Houses, 67. The property is divided chiefly between two. The chapelry is conterminate with the township. The living is a p.curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £155. Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church is ancient and has an open turret.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St Helen, Church Grove, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Overton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Lancaster. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Overton to another place. Lancaster. maps of Overton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD436579 (Lat/Lon: 54.014019, -2.862202), Overton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.