PADIHAM, a small town, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Whalley parish and Burnley district, Lancashire. The town stands on the river Calder, 1½ mile N of the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 2½ N W of Rosegrove r. station, and 3 W N W of Burnley; and has a post-office under Burnley, a police station, water-works, gas-works, and a fair on 12 Aug. The township comprises 1,917 acres. Real property, £19,472; of which £3,914 are in mines, and £340 in quarries. Pop.in 1851, 4,509; in 1861, 5,911. Houses, 1,187. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of cotton spinning. The manor belongs to the Duke of Buccleuch. Huntroyde Hall, Symondstone Hall, and Gawthorpe Hall are chief residences. Coal is extensively worked; and stone is worked in two quarries. The cotton trade is largely carried on. The chapelry is less extensive than the township. Pop. in 1861, 5,452. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £220.* Patron, Le Gendre N. Starkie, Esq. The old church was an ancient edifice in mixed architecture; contained monuments of the Huntroyde and Gawthorpe families; and was taken down in 1866. The new church was built in 1867, at a cost of about £6,000; is in the style of the middle of the 15th century; comprises nave, aisles, N and S transepts, chancel with chapel in its S side, N vestry, S porch, and S W tower; and contains about 1,000 sittings. A cemetery is near the village, on the old Burnley road. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, an endowed national school with £27 a year, a British school, and a large Wesleyan school. The sub-district contains also seven other townships of Whalley. Acres, 11,963. Pop., 9,906. Houses, 1,945.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)