PARBOLD, a township in Eccleston parish, Lancashire; near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 5½ miles N W by W of Wigan. It has a post-office under Ormskirk; and it contains the church of Douglas chapelry. Acres, 1,165. Real property, £3,031; of which £420 are in quarries. Pop., 474. Houses, 92. Parbold Hall is the seat of Mrs. Twining. Parbold hill commands good views to the Isle of Man, and to the mountains of Wales and Cumberland.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)