This list has been compiled using the townships in 1835, and parishes in 1837 named on the corresponding maps produced by the Friends of Lancashire Archives. In addition to this there are also the significant large towns which have appeared since then.
Select a letter from those below to go directly to towns and parishes starting with that letter.
* - The status of pages marked thus are under review. The list should consist of early 19th century parishes and townships, but when the initial list was created chapelries were also included. Many of these are still just tiny rural places without a town of any size around them. But due to population movements especially that due to the industrial revolution some are now significant well known places. Following the review the smaller places will no longer have their own distinct page, but the information they contain will be still available on the relevant civil parish/township page.