PARR, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Sankey canal, the St. Helens railway, and the Liverpooland Manchester railway, 1½ mile E S E of St. Helens r.station; and has a post-office under St. Helens. The township contains also the hamlets of Parr-Flat, Ashton-Green, and Blackbrook. Acres, 1,601. Real property, £35,208; of which £20,292 are in mines, £29 in the canal, and £68 in gas-works . Pop. in 1851, 4,875; in 1861, 8,253. Houses, 1,419. The manor belonged anciently to the family of Parr; one of whom was Sir Thomas Parr. There are extensive collieries, large alkali works, and copper works. The chapelry excludes part of the township, and was constituted in 1844. Pop.in 1861, 4,712. Houses, 824. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Incumbent of St. Helens. The church was built in 1865, in room of a previous one destroyed by fire, but on a different-site. There are a dis-senting chapel, two national schools, and a Roman Catholic school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)