PENDLETON, a township in Whalley parish, Lancashire; under Pendle hill, 2½ miles S S E of Clitheroe r.station. Acres, 2,800. Real property, £4,585. Pop.in 1851, 1,308; in 1861, 1,446. Houses, 298. The bulk of the population is at Sabden-Bridge. Standen Hallis the seat of J. T. W. Aspinall, Esq. There are a chapel of ease, an Independent chapel, and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)