PENNINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Leigh parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Wiganand Leigh canal, adjacent to the Bolton and Leigh railway; and contains part of the town of Leigh. Acres, 1,437. Real property, £13,666. Pop. in 1851, 4,573; in 1861, 5,015. Houses, 1,000. Pop. of the Leigh town portion, in 1861, 4,496. Houses, 901. The chapelry includes only a section of the township, and was constituted in 1846. Rated property, £8,229. Pop. in 1861, 2,803. Houses, 531. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £220.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1854, and is in the later English style.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Christ Church, Schofield Street, Church of England
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Pennington area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Wigan and Leigh. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Pennington to another place. Leigh. maps of Pennington and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ654994 (Lat/Lon: 53.490156, -2.522965), Pennington which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.