PENNINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Leigh parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Wiganand Leigh canal, adjacent to the Bolton and Leigh railway; and contains part of the town of Leigh. Acres, 1,437. Real property, £13,666. Pop. in 1851, 4,573; in 1861, 5,015. Houses, 1,000. Pop. of the Leigh town portion, in 1861, 4,496. Houses, 901. The chapelry includes only a section of the township, and was constituted in 1846. Rated property, £8,229. Pop. in 1861, 2,803. Houses, 531. The property is much sub-divided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £220.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1854, and is in the later English style.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)