PILLING, a village and a town ship-chapelry in Garstang parish, Lancashire. The village stands near Lancaster bay, 6½ miles W of Scorton r. station, and 6½ N W by W of Garstang; and has a post-office under Preston. The chapelry comprises 8,017 acres. Real property, £6,850. Pop. in 1851, 1,281; in 1861, 1,388. Houses, 234. Much of the land is peat-moss; and large quantities of turf are cut. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £124.* Patrons, E. Hornby and J. Gardner, Esqs. The church was rebuilt in 1735. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a slightly endowed national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)