Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Poulton le Fylde
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
POULTON-LE-FYLDE, a small town, a township, a parish, and a sub-district, in Fylde district, Lancashire. The town stands on the Preston and Wyre railway, at the junction of the branch to Blackpool, near the river Wyre, 5 miles S by E of Fleetwood; conducted commerce as a port on the Wyre, previous to the founding of Fleetwood; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and a polling-place; and has a post-office under Preston, a railway station with telegraph, a police station, a church, two dis-senting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a free school, a weekly corn-market on Monday, and fairs on 3 Feb., 13 April, and 3 Nov. The church was rebuilt in 1751; retains a tower of the time of Charles I.; and contains tablets to the families of Brockholes, Hesketh, and Fleetwood. The township comprises 900 acres. Real property, £3,798. Pop., 1,141. Houses, 246. The manor belonged to Roger de Poictiers, and was given to Shrewsbury abbey. The parish contains also the town-ships of Hardhorn-with-Newton, Great and Little Carleton, and Thornton-with-Fleetwood-on-Wyre, and the hamlets of Great Marton and Little Marton; and includes a great extent of coast and foreshore. Acres, 20,666. Real property, £39,367; of which £200 are in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 7,690; in 1861, 8,665. Houses, 1,418. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £257. Patron, the Rev.Hesketh. The p.curacies of Thornton, Fleetwood, and Marton are separate benefices. The sub-district excludes Little Marton hamlet, but includes Bispham parish and Singleton town-ship. Acres, 29,391. Pop. in 1851, 10,415; in 1861, 12,914. Houses, 2,256.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Tithebarn St, Independent
- St Chad, Market Place, Church of England
- Queensway, Methodist
- Back St (now Chapel St), Wesleyan Methodist
- Kingdom Hall, Station Road , Jehovah's Witness
- English Martyrs, High Cross Rd, Roman Catholic
- St John the Evangelist, Breck Road, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Poulton le Fylde area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Poulton le Fylde which are provided by:
"Poulton (in the Fylde,) a small town in Lancashire, with a market on Monday, situated within 3 miles of Blackpool, 8 from Kirkham, 17 from Preston, and 234 from London. The parish is in the deanery of Amounderness. The living is a vicarage, value in the King's books £7 16s. 8d. and the patron is R. HESKETH, Esq. The manufacture of this part of the country consists chiefly of sail cloth. In the bathing season this town and Blackpool are much frequented, and from the shore being equal to that of Scarborough, are likely to become a fashionable resort in the summer. Poulton has three annual fairs, on the 6th of February, April 13th, and November 3d, for cattle and small wares. The population of Poulton in 1821, was 1,011 inhabitants, viz. 454 males, and 557 females, being an increase since 1811 of 85, and the population of Blackpool, was 749."
Pigot's Directory Lancashire (1822)
"Poulton-in-the-Fylde, a market town and parish, in the hundred and deanery of Amounderness, and in the archdeaconry of Richmond, 234 miles from London, 48 from Liverpool and Manchester, 17 from Preston and 8 from Kirkham; is a small port, under Preston, and one of great antiquity. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, is erected upon the site of the old edifice, which, having stood nearly seven hundred years, was taken down in 1751. The other places of worship are for the independents and Wesleyan methodists, Roman catholics and quakers, each of which sect have a meeting-house. This place is much frequented in the bathing season; and its real population is upon the increase; in 1811, 4,031 persons were in the whole parish, of which number 1,011 belonged to the township of Poulton."
Pigot's Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of the county of Lancashire (1828)
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD348394 (Lat/Lon: 53.846729, -2.992524), Poulton le Fylde which are provided by: