Poulton le Sands
POULTON-LE-SANDS, a sea-port village, a town-ship, and a chapelry, in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village is conjoint with Morecambe village; stands on a bight of Morecambe bay, at the terminus of a railway from Lancaster, 3¼ miles W N W of Lancaster; is a sub-port to Lancaster, and a sea-bathing place; shares in the facilities of Morecambe post-office and railway station; and has, conjointly with that village, gas-works, water-works, two good hotels, many excellent lodging-houses, good sea-bathing appliances, a fine promenade, and a four-gun battery. The township contains also the villages of Bare and Torrisholme. Acres, 1,641. Real property, £7,951. Pop. in 1851, 1,301; in 1861, 2,236. Houses, 433. The chapelry is nearly conterminate with the township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop. in 1861, 2,228. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180.* Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church is a neat building, with a tower. There are an Independent chapel, with a good spire; a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1855; a Primitive Methodist chapel; and an endowed school, with £31 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
MORECAMBE LA4 5DL
Tel: 01524 415215/410559
Fax: 01524 401169
census records, and indexes for Poulton le Sands.
- Clark St, Christian Brethren, Morecambe
- St Christopher, Marine Road East, Church of England, Bare
- St Barnabas, Regent Road, Church of England, Morecambe
- St Lawrence, Edward St, Church of England, Morecambe
- St Martin of Tours, Westgate, Church of England, Morecambe
- Holy Trinity, Church Street, Church of England
- The Ascension, Lancaster Road, Church of England, Torrisholme
- Christie Ave, Church of the Assembly, Morecambe
- Clark St, Congregational, Morecambe
- Sefton Rd, Congregational, Morecambe
- Christ Church, Broadway, Congregational, Morecambe
- Emmanuel, East Promenade, Free Church of England, Morecambe
- West End Rd, Gospel Hall, Morecambe
- Kingdom Hall, Battismore Rd, Jehovah's Witness, Morecambe
- Ovangle Rd, Latter Day Saints, Morecambe
- Norwood Drive, Methodist, Torrisholme
- Victoria St, Particular Baptist, Morecambe
- Clarence Street, Plymouth Brethren, Morecambe
- Parliament St, Primitive Methodist, Morecambe
- Pedder St, Primitive Methodist, Morecambe
- Holy Family, Westgate, Roman Catholic, Morecambe
- St Mary, Matthias Street, Roman Catholic, Morecambe
- St Patrick, Fairfield Road, Roman Catholic, Morecambe
- The Good Shepherd, The Square, Roman Catholic, Torrisholme
- Balmoral Rd, Salvation Army, Morecambe
- West End Rd, Salvation Army, Morecambe
- Seaborn Rd, Society of Friends, Bare
- Labour Hall, Battismore Rd, Spiritualist, Morecambe
- Temple of Light, West End Rd, Spiritualist, Morecambe
- Clarence Street, United Methodist Free Church, Morecambe
- West End, United Methodist Free Church, Morecambe
- Green St, Wesleyan Methodist, Morecambe
- West End, Wesleyan Methodist, Morecambe
- Bare Lane, Wesleyan Methodist, Torrisholme
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Poulton le Sands area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Lancaster. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Poulton le Sands to another place. Lancaster.
Poulton le Sands in now known as Morecambe. The name Morecambe was taken from the name of the bay itself, Mwr Cwm - of Celtic origin, and used as the name of the railway (Morecambe Harbour Railway) which opened in 1848. It was originally built as the Lune was silting up and only small ships were able to travel up the river to Lancaster. The improved accessibilty led to the growth of Morecambe as a resort.
On 29th March 1889, the Local Board and Post Master General agreed to change the official name of joint townships of Poulton, Bare and Torrisholme to that of Morecambe - the name by which the resort had been known since its inception.maps of Poulton le Sands and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD439645 (Lat/Lon: 54.073364, -2.858847), Poulton le Sands which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society - Lancaster & Morecambe Branch
- Lancashire Parish Register Society