Poulton le Sands
POULTON-LE-SANDS, a sea-port village, a town-ship, and a chapelry, in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village is conjoint with Morecambe village; stands on a bight of Morecambe bay, at the terminus of a railway from Lancaster, 3¼ miles W N W of Lancaster; is a sub-port to Lancaster, and a sea-bathing place; shares in the facilities of Morecambe post-office and railway station; and has, conjointly with that village, gas-works, water-works, two good hotels, many excellent lodging-houses, good sea-bathing appliances, a fine promenade, and a four-gun battery. The township contains also the villages of Bare and Torrisholme. Acres, 1,641. Real property, £7,951. Pop. in 1851, 1,301; in 1861, 2,236. Houses, 433. The chapelry is nearly conterminate with the township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop. in 1861, 2,228. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £180.* Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster. The church is a neat building, with a tower. There are an Independent chapel, with a good spire; a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1855; a Primitive Methodist chapel; and an endowed school, with £31 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
MORECAMBE LA4 5DL census records, and indexes for Poulton le Sands.
- Victoria St, Morecambe, Particular Baptist
- Clark St, Morecambe, Congregational
- Sefton Rd, Morecambe, Congregational
- Christ Church, Broadway, Morecambe, Congregational
- Holy Trinity, Church Street, Church of England
- St Barnabas, Regent Road, Morecambe, Church of England
- St Christopher, Marine Road East, Bare, Church of England
- St Lawrence, Edward St, Morecambe, Church of England
- St Martin of Tours, Westgate, Morecambe, Church of England
- The Ascension, Lancaster Road, Torrisholme, Church of England
- Emmanuel, East Promenade, Morecambe, Free Church of England
- Norwood Drive, Torrisholme, Methodist
- Parliament St, Morecambe, Primitive Methodist
- Pedder St, Morecambe, Primitive Methodist
- Clarence Street, Morecambe, United Methodist Free Church
- West End, Morecambe, United Methodist Free Church
- Bare Lane, Torrisholme, Wesleyan Methodist
- Green St, Morecambe, Wesleyan Methodist
- West End, Morecambe, Wesleyan Methodist
- Clark St, Morecambe, Christian Brethren
- Christie Ave, Morecambe, Church of the Assembly
- West End Rd, Morecambe, Gospel Hall
- Kingdom Hall, Battismore Rd, Morecambe, Jehovah's Witness
- Ovangle Rd, Morecambe, Latter Day Saints
- Clarence Street, Morecambe, Plymouth Brethren
- Balmoral Rd, Morecambe, Salvation Army
- West End Rd, Morecambe, Salvation Army
- Labour Hall, Battismore Rd, Morecambe, Spiritualist
- Temple of Light, West End Rd, Morecambe, Spiritualist
- Seaborn Rd, Bare, Society of Friends
- Holy Family, Westgate, Morecambe, Roman Catholic
- St Mary, Matthias Street, Morecambe, Roman Catholic
- St Patrick, Fairfield Road, Morecambe, Roman Catholic
- The Good Shepherd, The Square, Torrisholme, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Poulton le Sands area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Lancaster. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Poulton le Sands to another place. Lancaster.
Poulton le Sands in now known as Morecambe. The name Morecambe was taken from the name of the bay itself, Mwr Cwm - of Celtic origin, and used as the name of the railway (Morecambe Harbour Railway) which opened in 1848. It was originally built as the Lune was silting up and only small ships were able to travel up the river to Lancaster. The improved accessibilty led to the growth of Morecambe as a resort.
On 29th March 1889, the Local Board and Post Master General agreed to change the official name of joint townships of Poulton, Bare and Torrisholme to that of Morecambe - the name by which the resort had been known since its inception.maps of Poulton le Sands and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD439645 (Lat/Lon: 54.073364, -2.858847), Poulton le Sands which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society - Lancaster & Morecambe Branch
- Lancashire Parish Register Society