Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Prescot, Lancashire genealogy

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Prescot, Lancashire genealogy

PRESCOT, a town, a township, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Lancashire. The town stands 2 miles N E of Huyton r. station, 2 N W of Rainhill r.station, and 8 E by N of Liverpool; is a seat of petty sessions; publishes a weekly newspaper; carries on extensive manufacture of watch-movements, watch-tools, and files; participates in the coal trade; contains breweries and manufactories of coarse earthenware and sanitary tubes; and has a head post-office, a town hall, a church, three dis-senting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a grammar school, a public lending library, a floral and horticultural society, a harmonic society, several endowed alms-houses, and aggregate charities £898. The church is ancient, in mixed architecture; comprises nave, aisles, transept, chancel, and porches; has a tower and spire 156 feet high, rebuilt in 1789; and contains a beautiful monument by Chantrey to W. Atherton, Esq., and several other monuments. The Roman Catholic chapel is a fine stone edifice, in the Gothic style. The grammar school is in two departments, lower and higher; and has £197 a year from endowment, and an interest in 7 fellowships and 2 exhibitions at Brasenose college, Oxford. Markets are held on Tuesdays and Saturdays; fortnightly fairs for cattle, from Shrove-Tuesday till the first Tuesday of May; and general fairs, on Ash-Wednesday, 24 and 25 Aug., 21 Oct., and 1 Nov. The town includes all P. township, and part of Eccleston township. Pop. in 1851, 7,393; in 1861, 6,066. Houses, 1,204. The township comprises 270 acres. Real property, £15,224; of which £1,500 are in mines, and £60 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 6,393; in 1861, 5,130. Houses, 1,015. The manor belongs to King's College, Cambridge. The parish contains also the townships of Eccleston, Whiston, Rain-hill, Sutton, Parr, Windle, Rainford, Bold, Widnes, Ditton, Cronton, Great Sankey, Cuerdley, and Penketh; and is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of Prescot, Eccleston, St. Thomas, Eccleston-Christchurch, St. Helens, ParrMount, Parr, Farnworth, Rainford, Rain-hill, Great Sankey, and Widnes. Acres, 36,554; of which 710 are water. Real property, £277,878; of which £41,375 are in mines, £472 in quarries, £735 in iron-works, £48,089 in railway s, £199 in canals, and £2,635 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 46,527; in 1861, 63,540. Houses, 11,288. The living of Prescot is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £1,200.* Patron, Kings College, Cambridge The other livings are noticed in the articles on their own several localities.

The sub-district contains the townships of Prescot, Whiston, Rainhill, and part of Eccleston. Pop. in 1851, 12,762; in 1861, 12,377. Houses, 2,389. The district comprehends also the sub-district of St. Helens, containing the townships of Sutton, Parr, Windle, and part of Eccleston; the sub-district of Rainford, conterminate with the township of Rainford; the sub-district of Farnworth, containing the townships of Bold, Widnes, Ditton, and Cronton; the sub-district of Huyton, containing the parish of Huyton and the hamlet of Thing-wall; the sub-district of Much Woolton, containing all Much Woolton township, except Thingwall hamlet, and all Little Woolton township; and the sub-district of Hale, containing the townships of Hale, Halewood, and Speke. Acres, 56,859. Poor-rates in 1863, £17,811 Pop. in 1851, 56,074; in 1861, 73,127. Houses, 13,052. Marriages in 1863, 553; births, 3,324, of which 169 were illegitimate; deaths, 1,678, of which 803 were at ages under 5 years, and 15 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 4,879; births, 26,568; deaths, 15,256. The places of worship, in 1851, were 20 of the Church of England, with 14,346 sittings; 4 of Independents, with 1,848 s.; 1 of Baptists, with 60 s.; 2 of Unitarians, with 530 s.; 11 of Wesleyans, with 2,757 s.; 2 of Primitive Methodists, with 255 s.; 2 of the Wesleyan Association, with 650 s.; 1 undefined, with 128 s.; 1 of Latter-Day Saints, with 200 s.; and 7 of Roman Catholics, with 3,320 s. The schools were 45 public day-schools, with 5,593 scholars; 65 private day-schools, with 1,929 s.; 67 Sunday schools, with 5,454 s.; and 9 evening schools for adults, with 105 s. The workhouse is in Whiston; and, at the census of 1861, had 155 inmates.

John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)