Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
PRESTWICH, a small town, a township, and a sub-district, in Manchester district, and a parish partly alsoin Oldham and Bury districts, Lancashire. The town stands 1¼ mile E N E of the river Irwell, 1½ E by N of Clifton-Junction r. station, and 4 N N W of Manchester; contains numerous good residences; and has a post-office under Manchester, two churches, two Wesleyan chapels, a Jewish cemetery, a national school, a British school, a workhouse, the Lancashire lunatic asylum, and charities £164. St. Bartholomew's church is later English; consists of nave, aisles, two terminal chapels, and a chancel, with a tower 85 feet high; and contains a fine reredos erected in 1865, and several handsome monuments. St. Margaret's church was founded in 1848, by the Duchess of Cambridge. One of the Wesleyan chapels was built in 1867 The national school was built in 1866, at a cost of about £2,800; and is in the early English style, with high-pitched roof and brick tower. The lunatic asylum stands in the centre of extensive grounds; is a range of structures in brick, with stone facings; underwent enlargement about 1862; and has accommodation for about 1,000 patients. The workhouse is one of three for Manchester district; and, at the census of 1861, had 66 in-mates. The township comprises 1,906 acres. Real property, £21,725. Pop. in 1851, 4,096; in 1861, 5,288. Houses, 973. The sub-district contains also Great Heaton and Little Heaton townships, and comprises 3,281 acres. Pop. in 1851, 5,046; in 1861, 6,285. Houses, 1,168. The parish contains also the townships of Pilkington, Oldham, Chadderton, Tonge, Alkrington, Royton, and Crompton; and is ecclesiastically cut into the sections of Prestwich, Hollinwood, Ringley, Prestolee, Oldham, St. Mary, O., St. Peter, O., St. James, Chadderton, St. John, C., St. Matthew, Coldhurst, East Crompton, Glodwick, Werneth, Waterhead, Royton, Shaw, Unsworth, and Tonge-with-Alkrington. Acres, 21,625. Pop. in 1851, 94,470; in 1861, 117,961. Houses, 23,039. The living of Prestwich is a rectory united with the chapelry of St. Margaret, and all the other livings are p.curacies, in the diocese of Manchester. Value of the rectory, £1,230.* Patron, the Earl of Wilton. The other livings are noticed in the articles on their own several localities.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Bury
- Newtown St, Congregational
- St Andrew, Woodward Road, Carr Clough, Church of England
- St Gabriel, Bishops Rd, Church of England
- St George, Nutt Lane, Simister, Church of England
- St Hilda, Whittaker Lane, Church of England
- St Margaret Holyrood, St Margaret's Road , Church of England
- St Mary, Church Lane, Church of England
- Beis Mordechai Synagogue, 90 Kings Road, Jewish
- Damesek Eliezer Synagogue (Prestwich Beth Hamedrash), Kings Road, Sedgley Park, Jewish
- Higher Prestwich Hebrew Congregation, Highbury House, Bury Old Road, Jewish
- Holy Law South Broughton Hebrew Congregation , Bury Old Road, Jewish
- North Manchester Jewish Congregation, Bury Old Rd, Jewish
- Prestwich Hebrew Congregation, Bury New Road, Jewish
- Sedgley Park Synagogue (Shomrei Hadass Synagogue), Parkview Road, Jewish
- United Synagogue and Beth Hamedrash Hagadol, Meade Hill Road, Jewish
- Chester St, Primitive Methodist
- Corday Lane, Unsworth, Primitive Methodist
- Bury New Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Chapel Rd, Rainsough, Wesleyan Methodist
- Heaton Park Methodist, Bury Old Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Holy Mother of Zyrovicy, Chapel Rd, Rainsough, Byelorussian Autocephalic Orthodox Church
- Venwood Road, Gospel Hall
- Our Lady of Grace, Fairfax Road , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Prestwich area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Prestwich area is Bury
You can see pictures of Prestwich which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Prestwich has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD817033 (Lat/Lon: 53.526034, -2.277525), Prestwich which are provided by: