REDDISH, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Stockport and Staleybridge railway, near the river Tame at the boundary with Cheshire, 2 miles N by E of Stockport; and has a station on the railway . Post-town, Stockport. Acres, 1,541. Real property, £8,444. Pop. in 1851, 1,218; in 1861, 1,363. Houses, 280. There are some handsome modern residences, inhabited by manufacturers of Stockport. There are also three cotton mills, print-works, and a paper manufactory. The chapelry is much more extensive than the township, was constitutedin 1864, and is called Heaton-Reddish. Pop., about 6,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1864, at a cost of £2,500; and is in the decorated English style.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)