Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
REDDISH, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the Stockport and Staleybridge railway, near the river Tame at the boundary with Cheshire, 2 miles N by E of Stockport; and has a station on the railway . Post-town, Stockport. Acres, 1,541. Real property, £8,444. Pop. in 1851, 1,218; in 1861, 1,363. Houses, 280. There are some handsome modern residences, inhabited by manufacturers of Stockport. There are also three cotton mills, print-works, and a paper manufactory. The chapelry is much more extensive than the township, was constitutedin 1864, and is called Heaton-Reddish. Pop., about 6,000. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £200. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1864, at a cost of £2,500; and is in the decorated English style.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Christ Church, Lillian Grove, United Reformed
- St Agnes, Gorton Road, North Reddish, Church of England
- St Elisabeth, Leamington Road, Church of England
- St Mary, Reddish Rd, Church of England
- Christ Church, Lillian Grove, Methodist
- Aspinal, Reddish Lane, Wesleyan Methodist
- Reddish Green Methodist , Broadstone Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Broadstone Road , Christian Fellowship
- New Hope Centre , Coronation St , Seventh Day Adventist
- Rupert Street, Spiritualist
- Sandy Lane, Triangle Church
- St Joseph, Gorton Road , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Reddish area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Reddish area is Stockport
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Reddish which are provided by:
In 1835 Reddish was a township in the parish of Manchester
You can see the administrative areas
in which Reddish has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ894936 (Lat/Lon: 53.439058, -2.161043), Reddish which are provided by: