RISHTON, a village and a township in Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the East Lancashire railway and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3½ miles N E by E of Blackburn; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Blackburn. The township contains also the hamlet of Tottleworth, and comprises 2,760 acres. Real property, £6,044; of which £1,128 are in mines and £231 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 800; in 1861, 1,198. Houses, 215. The manor belongs to H. Petre, Esq. There are a large cotton factory, a large reservoir, collieries, and fire-brick works.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)