RISHTON, a village and a township in Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the East Lancashire railway and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3½ miles N E by E of Blackburn; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Blackburn. The township contains also the hamlet of Tottleworth, and comprises 2,760 acres. Real property, £6,044; of which £1,128 are in mines and £231 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 800; in 1861, 1,198. Houses, 215. The manor belongs to H. Petre, Esq. There are a large cotton factory, a large reservoir, collieries, and fire-brick works.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Commercial Street, Baptist
- Derby St, Congregational
- St Peter and St Paul, Blackburn Road, Church of England
- Albert Street, Methodist
- School St, Primitive Methodist
- Mary St, United Methodist
- St Charles Borromeo, St Charles Road, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Rishton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Hyndburn and Rossendale.
You can see pictures of Rishton which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Rishton to another place. Blackburn. maps of Rishton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD725302 (Lat/Lon: 53.767412, -2.418689), Rishton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.