RISHTON, a village and a township in Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the East Lancashire railway and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3½ miles N E by E of Blackburn; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Blackburn. The township contains also the hamlet of Tottleworth, and comprises 2,760 acres. Real property, £6,044; of which £1,128 are in mines and £231 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 800; in 1861, 1,198. Houses, 215. The manor belongs to H. Petre, Esq. There are a large cotton factory, a large reservoir, collieries, and fire-brick works.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Commercial Street, Baptist
- St Peter and St Paul, Blackburn Road, Church of England
- Derby St, Congregational
- Albert Street, Methodist
- School St, Primitive Methodist
- St Charles Borromeo, St Charles Road, Roman Catholic
- Mary St, United Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Rishton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Hyndburn and Rossendale.
You can see pictures of Rishton which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Rishton to another place. Blackburn. maps of Rishton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD725302 (Lat/Lon: 53.767412, -2.418689), Rishton which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview