RIVINGTON, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Chorley district, Lancashire. The village stands on the side of a hill, 2 miles E N E of Adlington r. station, and 4 S E of Chorley; overlooks the large reservoir of the Liverpool water-works; and has a post-office under Chorley. The chapelry comprises 2,630 acres; and is in Bolton-le-Moors parish. Real property, £2,153. Pop., 369. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. R. Hall, Gillbrook Hall, and Beech House are chief residences. R. Pike is a mountain 1,345 feet high, and had formerly a beacon. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £90* Patrons, the Inhabitants. The church is tolerable; and there are a Presbyterian chapel, and an endowed grammar-school with £310 a year. The sub-district contains also another township of Bolton, and three of Standish. Acres, 7,742. Pop., 3,493. Houses, 676.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Rivington area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Chorley. pictures and historical information.
You can see pictures of Rivington which are provided by:gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Rivington to another place. Bolton. Rivington in the 19th century. maps of Rivington and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD626144 (Lat/Lon: 53.624785, -2.566965), Rivington which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.