Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
ROYTON, a large village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Oldham district, Lancashire. The village stands at the terminus of the Manchester, Oldham, and Royton railway, near the junction with it of the Oldham and Rochdale railway, 2 miles N N W of Oldham; is a place of some antiquity and note; numbers among its natives the mathematicians Butterworth and Kay, and the botanist Mellor; carries on industry in large cotton factories; and has a post-office under Oldham, a railway station with telegraph, another r. station at R. r. junction, a police station, a public-bath, a church, three dis-senting chapels, a national school, and several libraries, improvement societies, and other insituations. The chapelry comprises 1,352 acres, and is in Prestwich parish, and within Oldham borough. Real property, £20,566; of which £628 are in mines, and £220 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 6,974; in 1861, 7,493. Houses, 1,562. The property is not much divided. R. Hall was given, by Edward II., to Sir John de Byron; belongs now, to Sir J. Radcliffe, Bart., the chief landed proprietor; and has been divided into tenements. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The sub-district contains also the township of Thornham, and comprises 3,350 acres. Pop. in 1851, 8,484; in 1861, 9,520. Houses, 1,941.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Oldham
- Oldham Road , Baptist
- Bethesda, Rochdale Rd, Particular Baptist
- Hebron St, Heyside, Congregational
- Middleton Rd, Congregational
- All Saints, Rochdale Lane, Church of England
- St Anne, St Anne's Ave, Longsight, Church of England
- St Mark, Perth St, Heyside, Church of England
- St Paul, Church St, Church of England
- Independent Methodist
- Trinity, Radcliffe St, Methodist
- Oldham Road , Primitive Methodist
- Zion, Fir Lane, Primitive Methodist
- Shaw Rd, Higginshaw, United Methodist Free Church
- Edge Lane Road formerly Lawson St, Higginshaw, Wesleyan Methodist
- Manchester Rd, Luzley Brook, Wesleyan Methodist
- St John, Chapel St, Wesleyan Methodist
- St John, Market Street, Wesleyan Methodist
- Spring Garden St, Moravian
- Spring Garden St, Salvation Army
- Turf Lane, Heyside, Society of Friends
- St Aidan and St Oswald, Vaughan Street , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Royton area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Royton area is Oldham
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Royton which are provided by:
In 1835 Royton was a township in the parish of Oldham
You can see the administrative areas
in which Royton has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD918077 (Lat/Lon: 53.565840, -2.125287), Royton which are provided by: