RUFFORD, a village and a parish in Ormskirk district, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Douglas, near the Liverpool and Preston railway, 5½ miles N N E of Ormskirk; is a seat of petty-sessions; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Ormskirk, and a cattle fair on 13 May. The parish contains also the hamlet of Holmes-Wood, and comprises 3,102 acres. Real property, £6,185. Pop., 865. Houses, 149. The manor and most of the land belong to Sir Thomas G. Hesketh, Bart. The New Hall is Sir Thomas' seat; and the Old Hall is the residence of the Dowager Lady Hesketh. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £495. Patrons, the Representatives of the late L. Starkie. The church is of brick, with a bell-cupola. There are an endowed school for girls, a school for boys, and charities £22.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)