RUMWORTH, a township in Deane parish, Lancashire; 2 miles W S W of Bolton. Acres, 1,300. Real property, £7,504; of which £1,000 are in mines. Pop.in 1851, 1,386: in 1861, 1,861. Houses, 391. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of a cotton-mill and of weaving sheds. Whitebank and Rhuddylan House are chief residences. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £40.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)