SALESBURY, a township and a chapelry in Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The township lies on an affluent of the river Ribble, 1½ mile W of Ribchester r. station, and 5 N by E of Blackburn. Acres, 1,150. Real property, £1,374. Pop., 331. Houses, 61. The manor belonged to the Salesburys; passed to the Clitheroes, the Talbots, and others; and belongs now to Lord De Tabley. Talbot the antiquary was a native. The chapelry is much larger than the township, and was constitute, in 1842. Post-town, Blackburn. Pop., 1,292. Houses, 254. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £118. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1807.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)