It was founded in 1873. The present church opened in 1902.
St. Joseph's was begun in 1871 and was cut off from the Cathedral as a separate Parish in 1875. The first Rector was the Rev. A. M. Scherpereel who built the first school and church and present presbytery.
He was succeeded in 1892 by the Rev. P. Maguire who built the present church in 1902, a fine devotional church of Gothic design.
The third Rector was the Rev. W. J. O'Dwyer who reigned from 1909 until his death in 1925. He built new schools and a Parochial Hall.
The parish distinguished itself by being blitzed at Christmas, 1940, since which time the burden of restoring the beautiful church and schools has been shouldered by Fr. J. Yarnitsky, supported by the generosity of a devoted and loyal people.
Taken from "Salford Diocese and its Catholic past", a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.