SCARISBRICK, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Ormskirk parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3 miles N W of Ormskirk r. station; and has a post-office under Ormskirk. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Bescar and Snape-Green. Acres, 8,377. Real property, £13,752; of which £23 are in quarries. Pop., 2,112. Houses, 363. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to Lady Scarisbrick. The living is annexed to Ormskirk. The church is in the later English style. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £19. The sub-district contains also Burscough township, and comprises 13,336 acres. Pop., 4,573. Houses, 841.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)