SCARISBRICK, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district, in Ormskirk parish and district, Lancashire. The village stands on the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 3 miles N W of Ormskirk r. station; and has a post-office under Ormskirk. The chapelry contains also the hamlets of Bescar and Snape-Green. Acres, 8,377. Real property, £13,752; of which £23 are in quarries. Pop., 2,112. Houses, 363. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to Lady Scarisbrick. The living is annexed to Ormskirk. The church is in the later English style. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Roman Catholics, an endowed school with £18 a year, and charities £19. The sub-district contains also Burscough township, and comprises 13,336 acres. Pop., 4,573. Houses, 841.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St Mark, Southport Rd, Church of England
- Drummersdale Mission, Merscar Lane, Welsh Presbyterian
- St Mary / St Elizabeth, Hall Rd, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Scarisbrick area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.West Lancashire. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Scarisbrick to another place. Ormskirk. maps of Scarisbrick and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD379132 (Lat/Lon: 53.611649, -2.940143), Scarisbrick which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.