Dunnerdale & Seathwaite
SEATHWAITE, a chapelry and a mountain vale in Kirkby-Ireleth parish, Lancashire. The chapelry lies adjacent to Cumberland, 4¼ miles W by S of Coniston r.station. Post-town, Grisebeck, under Ulverstone. Acres, 10,940. Pop., 171. Houses, 34. The manor belongs to J. J. Rawlinson, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £80.* Patron, J. J. Rawlinson, Esq. The church is good; and there is a parochial school. The vale is mainly identical with the chapelry; descends 4 miles south-westward, at an acute angle to the Duddon river; is flanked, on the right, by Greyfriars mountain, on the left, by the Old Man of Coniston and Dow Crag; and contains, in its central part, the lakelet of S. Tarn, gemmed with an islet, over-hung by precipices, and commanding a vista-view away to Fairfield mountain.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Seathwaite area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Ulverston. Residents in 1882 found in Mannex's directory of Furness and Cartmel. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Dunnerdale & Seathwaite to another place. Kirkby Ireleth. history of Dunnerdale and Seathwaite as described in Mannex's directory of Furness and Cartmel, 1882. maps of Seathwaite and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD227960 (Lat/Lon: 54.353661, -3.190886), Seathwaite which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.