SEPHTON, or Sefton, a township and a parish in West Derby district, Lancashire. The township lies on.the river Alt, near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 2 miles W of Mughall r. station, and 6½ N of Liverpool; has a post-office under Liverpool; and gives the title of Earl to the family of Molyneux. Acres, 1,233. Real property, £3,491. Pop., 430. Houses, 73. The manor was given, at the Norman conquest, to William de Moline or Molyneux; and, with Croxteth Park, belongs now to the Earl of Sephton. The Liverpool race-course is here; and has a grand stand of 1830, lofty, spacious, and commanding an extensive view. The parish contains also the townships of Lunt, Netherton, Aintree, Orelland Ford, Litherland, Thornton, Ince-Blundell, and Little Crosby, and the chapelry of Great Crosby; and extends to the sea. Acres, 21,168; of which 8,675 are water. Pop. in 1851, 7,278; in 1861, 10,159. Houses, 1,730. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £1,825.* Patron, the Marquis de Rothwell. The church is of the time of Henry VIII., and has a tower and spire. The p. curacies of Seaforth, Aintree, Litherland, Waterloo-Christchurch, Waterloo, St. John, and Great Crosby are separate benefices. There are a national school, and charities £116.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)