SHARPLES, a township and a sub-district in Bolton-le-Moors parish, Bolton district, Lancashire. The town-ship lies 2½ miles N of Bolton; and contains the villages of Banktop, Sweet-Loves, High-Houses, Gale, Folds, Belmont, Piccadilly, Water-Meetings, Old Houses, and part of Astley-Bridge. Acres, 3,920. Real property, £14,697; of which £302 are in mines. Pop. in 1851, 3,904; in 1861, 3,294. Houses, 697. There are cotton mills, calico print-works, extensive bleach-works, large reservoirs of Bolton water-works, the churches of Belmont and Astley-Bridge, Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and national and British schools. The sub-district contains also the higher end or detached part of Little Bolton township. Pop. with S. township, in 1861, 4,243. Houses, 872.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Sharples area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Bolton. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Sharples to another place. Bolton. Sharples in the 19th century. maps of Sharples and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD708119 (Lat/Lon: 53.602838, -2.442751), Sharples which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works (Zoom in via this one to see house numbers)
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.