SHAW, a village and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Beal, near the Oldham and Rochdale railway, 2½ miles N N E of Oldham; is a large place, with well edificed and well-paved streets; presents a neat and clean appearance; carries on industry in cotton mills and in other establishments; and has a post-office under Oldham, and a r.station with telegraph. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 3,618. Houses, 767. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £220.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. A new church, to be in the early decorated style, and to cost about £7,500, was founded in 1869. There is a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)