SHAW, a village and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Beal, near the Oldham and Rochdale railway, 2½ miles N N E of Oldham; is a large place, with well edificed and well-paved streets; presents a neat and clean appearance; carries on industry in cotton mills and in other establishments; and has a post-office under Oldham, and a r.station with telegraph. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 3,618. Houses, 767. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £220.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. A new church, to be in the early decorated style, and to cost about £7,500, was founded in 1869. There is a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- St Saviour, Buckstones Rd, Church of England, East Crompton
- Holy Trinity, Church Road, Church of England
- Rochdale Rd, Congregational
- Ebenezer, Buckstones Rd, Methodist, East Crompton
- St Paul, Rochdale Rd, Methodist
- Refuge St, Primitive Methodist
- St Joseph, Oldham Road, Roman Catholic
- Farrow St, Salvation Army
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Shaw area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Oldham. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Shaw to another place. Crompton in the parish of Oldham. maps of Shaw and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD934087 (Lat/Lon: 53.574851, -2.101151), Shaw which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview