SHAW, a village and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Beal, near the Oldham and Rochdale railway, 2½ miles N N E of Oldham; is a large place, with well edificed and well-paved streets; presents a neat and clean appearance; carries on industry in cotton mills and in other establishments; and has a post-office under Oldham, and a r.station with telegraph. The chapelry was constituted in 1835. Pop. in 1861, 3,618. Houses, 767. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £220.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. A new church, to be in the early decorated style, and to cost about £7,500, was founded in 1869. There is a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Rochdale Rd, Congregational
- Holy Trinity, Church Road, Church of England
- St Saviour, Buckstones Rd, East Crompton, Church of England
- Ebenezer, Buckstones Rd, East Crompton, Methodist
- St Paul, Rochdale Rd, Methodist
- Refuge St, Primitive Methodist
- Farrow St, Salvation Army
- St Joseph, Oldham Road , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Shaw area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Oldham. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Shaw to another place. Crompton in the parish of Oldham. maps of Shaw and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD934087 (Lat/Lon: 53.574851, -2.101151), Shaw which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.