SHEVINGTON, a township in Standish parish, Lancashire; on the river Douglas and the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 1 mile NE of Gathurst r. station, and 4 NW of Wigan. Acres, 1,706. Real property, £7,742; of which £3,500 are in mines, and £330 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 1,147; in 1861, 1,615. Houses, 262. The increase of pop. arose from the working of new coal mines. S. Hall is the residence of J. Tayleur, Esq. There are a free school and a national school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)