SKELMERSDALE, a village and a township-chapelry in Ormskirk parish, Lancashire. The village stands in the E neighbourhood of Blaguegate r. station, and 4½ miles ESE of Ormskirk; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Bootle-Wilbraham. The chapelry contains also Blaguegate village, which has a post-office under Ormskirk. Acres, 1,920. Real property, £5,253; of which £1,000 are in mines, and £19 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 760; in 1861, 1,028. Houses, 196. Pop. in 1868, above 3,000. The manor belongs to Lord Skelmersdale. S. Hall is the seat of R. Thomas, Esq. Coal is worked, and bricks are made. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £175.* Patron, the Vicar of Ormskirk. The church was built in 1796, and enlarged in 1823. There are two Wesleyan chapels, one of them built in 1866, a recently erected Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £51 a year, and charities £37.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)