SKELMERSDALE, a village and a township-chapelry in Ormskirk parish, Lancashire. The village stands in the E neighbourhood of Blaguegate r. station, and 4½ miles ESE of Ormskirk; and gives the title of Baron to the family of Bootle-Wilbraham. The chapelry contains also Blaguegate village, which has a post-office under Ormskirk. Acres, 1,920. Real property, £5,253; of which £1,000 are in mines, and £19 in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 760; in 1861, 1,028. Houses, 196. Pop. in 1868, above 3,000. The manor belongs to Lord Skelmersdale. S. Hall is the seat of R. Thomas, Esq. Coal is worked, and bricks are made. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £175.* Patron, the Vicar of Ormskirk. The church was built in 1796, and enlarged in 1823. There are two Wesleyan chapels, one of them built in 1866, a recently erected Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed school with £51 a year, and charities £37.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
WN8 6NL census records, and indexes for Skelmersdale.
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Skelmersdale area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.West Lancashire. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Skelmersdale to another place. Ormskirk. maps of Skelmersdale and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD479060 (Lat/Lon: 53.548030, -2.787802), Skelmersdale which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.