SKERTON, a suburban village and a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village is suburban to Lancaster; communicates with that town by a five-arched bridge, across the river Lune; and has a post-office under Lancaster, and a police station. The chapelry comprises 1,186 acres. Real property, £6,179; of which £90 are in fisheries. Pop., 1,556. Houses, 317. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100. Patrons, Trustees. The church is a neat building, with a pinnacled tower. There is an endowed school with £12 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Free Grace, Lune St, Baptist
- St Chad, Torrisholme Road, Church of England
- St Luke, Mainway, Church of England
- Main St, Primitive Methodist
- Main St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Owen Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Skerton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.
If you keep this page loaded for a very long time and the database is updated since loading it, the church links above may become stale and may display the wrong church. If this happens, reloading this page will correct them.Lancaster. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Skerton to another place. Lancaster. maps of Skerton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD472633 (Lat/Lon: 54.062929, -2.808210), Skerton which are provided by:
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- Vision of Britain
- English Jurisdictions in 1851
- Magic (Click + on map to view it)
- Elgin Road Works
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview