SKERTON, a suburban village and a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire. The village is suburban to Lancaster; communicates with that town by a five-arched bridge, across the river Lune; and has a post-office under Lancaster, and a police station. The chapelry comprises 1,186 acres. Real property, £6,179; of which £90 are in fisheries. Pop., 1,556. Houses, 317. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £100. Patrons, Trustees. The church is a neat building, with a pinnacled tower. There is an endowed school with £12 a year.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Free Grace, Lune St, Baptist
- St Chad, Torrisholme Road, Church of England
- St Luke, Mainway, Church of England
- Main St, Primitive Methodist
- Main St, Wesleyan Methodist
- Owen Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Fathers House, Owen Rd, Elim
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Skerton area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Lancaster. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Skerton to another place. Lancaster. maps of Skerton and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD472633 (Lat/Lon: 54.062929, -2.808210), Skerton which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- Mario (Lancashire Council maps, less than historic county)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.