Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
SPOTLAND, a township and a chapelry in Rochdale parish, Lancashire. The township is partly within Rochdale borough; comprises parts of the valleys of the Roach, the Spodden, the Nadin, and the Irwell; is cut into three divisions, S.-Nearer-Side, containing 2 hamlets, S.-Further-Side, containing 6 hamlets, and Whitworth, containing 4 hamlets; exhibits much picturesque scenery; carries on coal mining, slate and freestone quarrying, and extensive cotton, baize, and flannel manufacture; and has several post-offices under Rochdale, a literary institution, two churches, five dissenting chapels, the Rochdale workhouse, and some charities. Acres, 4,518. Real property, £118,074; of which £18,099 are in mines, £2,501 in quarries, and £93 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 23,476; in 1861, 30,378. Houses, 5,994. The chief villages are Whitworth, Bridge-Mill, Shawforth, Facit, Bagslate, Blackpits, and Shawclough; and the old-seats are Oakenrod, Chadwick, Greave, and Wolstenholm, the last now a farmhouse. The chapelry comprises the tract around Spotland-Bridge; was constituted in 1844, and curtailed prior to 1868; and has a post-office, of the name of S.-Bridge, under Rochdale. Pop. in 1861, within the original limits, 11,016; within the curtailed limits, 8,354. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £500. Patron, the Vicar of Rochdale. The church is ancient.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Whitworth
- Forsyth St, Norden, Congregational
- Christ Church, Gandy Lane, Healey, Church of England
- St Clement, Willbutts La, Church of England
- St Paul, Edenfield Rd, Norden, Church of England
- Edenfield Rd, Norden, Methodist
- Rooley Moor Rd, Catley Lane Head, Methodist
- Zion, Rudman St, Shawclough, Primitive Methodist
- Rooley Moor Rd, Spotland Fold, United Methodist Free Church
- Shawclough Rd, Shawclough, United Methodist Free Church
- Syke Rd, Syke, United Methodist Free Church
- Cutgate Methodist, Edenfield Rd, Rochdale, United Methodist Free Church
- Wesleyan Methodist, Bagslate
- St Vincent de Paul, Caldershaw Road , Norden, Roman Catholic
- St Vincent de Paul, Edenfield Rd, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Spotland area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Spotland area is Rochdale
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Spotland which are provided by:
In 1835 Spotland was a township in the parish of Rochdale
You can see the administrative areas
in which Spotland has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD887136 (Lat/Lon: 53.618813, -2.172309), Spotland which are provided by: