The church has/had a graveyard.
1970 - Graves at the parish church uncovered and removed to St Helens Borough Cemetery. What exists now now is a large plot at St Helens cemetery which contains the remains of everyone from the Parish church. It's plot 17/18, apart from the odd Armed Forces stone all that's there to indicate the burials is a stone plinth reading, "Within this plot lie the remains of persons formerly laid to rest in the burial ground of the Parish church of St.Helen and reinterred in December 1970."
The monumental inscriptions for this church cemetery are contained in the libary at the Society of Genealogists in London.
The origin of the church from 1552 made reference to 'St Elyn's chapel' very small 'consisting only of a 'challis and a lytle bell.' This was a 'chapel of ease' for travellers from Prescot to Warrington.
1816 - The church, located on Church Street at St Helens was enlarged and became known as St Marys. The burial ground was opened.
1858 - The current St Helens Cemetery opened. It was sometimes referred to as the Windleshaw Cemetery or now as the St Helens Borough Cemetery.
1861 - The burial ground at St Marys (formerly St Helens) was closed by an order-in-council.
1916 - St Helens Parish Church burned down. The congregation worshipped at the Town Hall for ten years.
1926 - The present parish church was consecrated and the name reverted back to St. Helen.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.