MICHAEL-ON-WYRE (ST.), a village and sub-district in Garstang district, and a parish partly also in Fylde and Preston districts, Lancashire. The village stands on the river Wyre, 3 miles W by N of Brock r. station, and 3½ SW of Garstang; is in the township of Upper Rawcliffewith-Tarnacre; and has a n eat stone bridge over the river. The sub-district comprises the St. Michael townships of Out-Rawcliffe, Upper-Rawcliffe-with-Tarnacre, Great Eccleston, and Inskip-with-Sowerby, the Lancaster township of Myerscough, and the Garstang township of Bilsborrow. Acres, 15,965. Pop., 3,359. Houses, 638. The parish, in addition to its four townships in the sub-district, contains the townships of Elswick and Wood-Plumpton. Post town, Garstang, Lancashire. Acres, 18,114; of which 180 are water. Real property, £29,570. Pop. in 1851, 4,680; in 1861, 4,509. Houses, 879. The property is much subdivided. The manors of Upper Rawcliffe and Inskip belong to the Earl of Derby; that of Out-Rawcliffe belongs to the representatives of the late R. W. France, Esq.; and that of Wood-Plumpton belongs to Birley, Esq. Rush cutting is largely carried on in Great Eccleston; and tiles and drain-pipes are extensively made in Wood-Plumpton. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £580.* Patron, the Rev. W. Hornby. The church is of the time of Henry VIII.; succeeded an ancient one, supposed to have been built about 640; comprises nave and aisles, with battlemented tower; and includes a N oratory, formerly the mortuary chapel of the Butler family. The chapelries of Cop or Great Eccleston, Out-Rawcliffe, Inskip, and Wood-Plumpton are separate benefices. There are, in the several townships, a Baptist chapel, three Wesleyan chapels, two Primitive Methodist chapels, two Roman Catholic chapels, two endowed schools and three national schools. There are also, in Wood-Plumpton, a police station and a small workhouse.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)