STAND, or Whitefield, a chapelry, with a village, in Pilkington township, Prestwich parish, Lancashire; 1½ mile SE of Radcliffe r. station, and 5½ NNW of Manchester. It was constituted in 1829; and it has a post-office under Manchester. Pop. in 1861, 8,958. Houses, 1,824. There are many good residences. Cotton manufacture, and employments akin to it, are largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £270.* Patron, the Earl of Wilton. The church was built in 1826, at a cost of £15,000; is in the pointed style; and has a pinnacled tower, 186 feet high. There are four dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar-school, and a large national school, the last used as a chapel of ease.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Stand area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Bury. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Stand to another place. Pilkington, in the parish of Prestwich. Stand in the 19th century. maps of Stand and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD793057 (Lat/Lon: 53.547516, -2.313888), Stand which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.