STANDISH, a village, a township, and a sub-district, in Wigan district, and a parish partly also in Chorley district, Lancashire. The village stands near the North-western railway, 3½ miles NNW of Wigan; and has a station on the railway, a post-office under Wigan, and fairs on 29 June and 22 Nov. The township bears the name of S.-with-Langtree, and comprises 3,257 acres. Real property, £15,788; of which £6,700 are in mines. Pop. in 1861, 2,655; in 1861, 3,054. Houses, 579. The manor has belonged, since soon after the Norman conquest, to the Standish family; and once had a castle. There are extensive coal mines, a large paper-mill, and barytes works. The sub-district contains also two other townships of S. parish, and two of Eccleston; and comprises 10,661 acres. Pop., 6,894. Houses, 1,259. The parish includes seven townships of Chorley district; and comprises 15,285 acres. Pop. in 1851, 8,594; in 1861, 10,410. Houses, 1,900. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £1,874.* Patron, H. Standish, Esq. The church was built in 1584, and restored in 1859; and has a fine E window, and a tower and spire. The p. curacies of Adlington, Coppull, and Charnock-Richard are separate benefices. There are an endowed grammar-school with £114 a year, an endowed school for girls with £53, and charities £402.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)