STAVELEY, a township-chapelry in Cartmel parish, Lancashire: at the foot of Windermere, 7 miles N of Cark and Cartmel r. station. It includes part of Newby-Bridge, which has a post-office under Newton-in-Cartmel. Acres, 2,480. Real property, £3,621. Pop., 409. Houses, 76. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £110.* Patron, the Duke of Devonshire. The church was enlarged in 1864. There are two endowed schools for respectively boys and girls.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)