Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
STRETFORD, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, on the S border of Lancashire. The township lies on the Manchester and Altrincham railway, 4 miles SW of Manchester; is in Manchester parish; includes Old Trafford chapelry; contains many handsome villa residences, a public hall, a temperance institute, the Manchester botanic garden, the asylum for the blind, the school for the deaf and dumb, two churches, five dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel of 1864, and a large national school; and has a r. station with telegraph, and a post-office, designated Stretford, Lancashire. Acres, 3,140. Real property, £42,938; of which £500 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 4,998; in 1861, 8,757. Houses, 1,668. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 3,882. Houses, 791. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £405.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of M. The church was rebuilt in 1841. The sub-district comprises S. township and Flixton parish, and is in Barton-upon-Irwell district. Acres, 5,689. Pop., 10,807. Houses, 2,077.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Union Chapel, Edge Lane, Baptist
- Chester Road, Congregational
- Chorlton Road, Old Trafford, Congregational
- All Saints, Barton Road, Church of England
- All Saints, Cyprus St, Church of England
- St Bride, Blair St, off Shrewsbury Street, Old Trafford, Church of England
- St Cuthbert, Third Avenue, Old Trafford, Church of England
- St Hilda, Warwick Road South, Old Trafford, Church of England
- St John the Evangelist, Ayres Road, Old Trafford, Church of England
- St Matthew, Chester Road, Church of England
- St Peter, Gorse Hill, Firswood, Church of England
- St Thomas, Stretford Rd, Old Trafford, Church of England
- Barton Road, Independent Methodist
- Sevenways, Derbyshire Lane, Methodist
- Chorley St, Primitive Methodist
- King Street, Primitive Methodist
- Third Avenue, Old Trafford, Primitive Methodist
- Bethel, Henrietta St, Old Trafford, Primitive Methodist
- City Road, Old Trafford, Wesleyan Methodist
- Edge Lane formerly Chester Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Gorse Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church , Chester Road, Wesleyan Methodist
- The Bethel, Henrietta St, Old Trafford, Christadelphian
- Gospel Hall, Derbyshire Lane, Christian Brethren
- Barton Road, Christian Life Centre
- St Francis, Edge Lane, Christian Spiritualist
- Edge Lane, Exclusive Brethren
- Chester Rd, Latter Day Saints
- Park Rd, Martin Luther Kirche
- Jame Masjid-e-Noor Mosque , Stamford St , Old Trafford, Muslim
- Brunswick St, Salvation Army
- St Bartholomew, Barton Rd, Lostock, Davyhulme, Presbyterian
- Moss Side, Shewsbury Street, Old Trafford, Unitarian
- St Alphonsus, Powell Street , Old Trafford, Roman Catholic
- St Ann, Chester Road, Roman Catholic
- St Antony of Padua, Eleventh Street , Trafford Park, Roman Catholic
- St Hugh of Lincoln, Glastonbury Road, Roman Catholic
- St Lawrence, Malvern Street, Old Trafford, Roman Catholic
- St Teresa, Bedford Road , Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Stretford area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Stretford area is Trafford.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Stretford which are provided by:
In 1835 Stretford was a township in the parish of Manchester.
You can see the administrative areas
in which Stretford has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ790946 (Lat/Lon: 53.447733, -2.317669), Stretford which are provided by: