STRETFORD, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, on the S border of Lancashire. The township lies on the Manchester and Altrincham railway, 4 miles SW of Manchester; is in Manchester parish; includes Old Trafford chapelry; contains many handsome villa residences, a public hall, a temperance institute, the Manchester botanic garden, the asylum for the blind, the school for the deaf and dumb, two churches, five dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel of 1864, and a large national school; and has a r. station with telegraph, and a post-office, designated Stretford, Lancashire. Acres, 3,140. Real property, £42,938; of which £500 are in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 4,998; in 1861, 8,757. Houses, 1,668. The chapelry was constituted in 1854. Pop., 3,882. Houses, 791. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £405.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of M. The church was rebuilt in 1841. The sub-district comprises S. township and Flixton parish, and is in Barton-upon-Irwell district. Acres, 5,689. Pop., 10,807. Houses, 2,077.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)