It was founded in 1903. The present church opened 1936. The parish is now merged with Our Lady, Moss Side - services held at both churches.
A procession from the mother parish of St. Wilfrid's to lay the foundation stone of the new school-chapel, gave the new parish a favourable start in 1903. There were at that time about 500 parishioners. Fr. Charles MacCarthy was made the first Rector and, until his death in 1930, helped to build up the parish. He was often helped in the Sunday duties by priests from the nearby St. Bede's College.
Fr. Joseph O'Donnell built the present very fine Gothic-inspired church, the work of E. Bower Norris and F. Reynolds. The church is one of several consecrated by the present Bishop. The parish has a relic of St. Alphonsus.
Taken from "Salford Diocese and its Catholic past", a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.