Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
SUTTON, a township and a chapelry in Prescot parish, Lancashire. The township lies around Sutton-Oak, Lea-Green, and St. Helens Junction r. stations, 2½ miles S of St. Helens; and has a post-office under St. Helens. Acres, 3,616. Real property, £44,146; of which £9,147 are in mines, £170 in canals, £2,640 in railways, and £1,601 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 5,288; in 1861, 9,223. Houses, 1,588. There are numerous good residences. Coal, ironstone, limestone, and potters' clay are worked; and there are glass-works, bottle-works, cobalt and zaffer-works, copper-smelting-works, earthen-ware works, drain-pipe works, grease and varnish-works, an oil-refinery, and watch-movement manufactures. A county lunatic asylum also is here. The chapelry includes only part of the township, and was constituted in 1848. Pop. in 1861, 4,071. Houses, 755. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £716. Patron, Kings College, Cambridge. The church is in the pointed style. There are a Wesleyan chapel and national schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at St Helens library.
- All Saints, Ellamsbridge Road, Church of England
- Emmanuel, Elephant Lane, Thatto Heath, Church of England
- St Matthew, St Matthew's Grove, Thatto Heath, Church of England
- St Michael and All Angels, Gartons Lane, Sutton Manor, Church of England
- St Nicholas, New Street, Church of England
- Zion, West St , Thatto Heath, Independant Methodist
- Sutton Village Church, Herbert St, Independent Methodist
- New Street, Methodist
- Clock Face Rd, Marshall's Cross, United Methodist Free Church
- Balmer St, Thatto Heath, Wesleyan Methodist
- Nutgrove Rd, Thatto Heath, Wesleyan Methodist
- Sutton Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Sutton Oak, Sutton Rd, Welsh Chapel
- St Anne and Blessed Dominic, Monastery Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Austin, Heath St, Thatto Heath, Roman Catholic
- St Joseph, Sutton Rd, Peasley Cross, Roman Catholic
- St Theresa of the Child Jesus, Gartons Lane, Sutton Manor, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Sutton area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Sutton area is St Helens.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Sutton which are provided by:
In 1835 Sutton was a township in the parish of Prescot.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ536935 (Lat/Lon: 53.436217, -2.699930), Sutton which are provided by: