SWINTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Eccles parish, Lancashire; near Patricroft r. station, 4½ mile WNW of Manchester. It has a post-office under Manchester. Pop., about 6,000. There are several good residences. Cotton manufacture and brick-making are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £230.* Patron, the Vicar of Eccles. The church is plain. There are Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and the Manchester industrial schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)