We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
SWINTON, a chapelry, with a village, in Eccles parish, Lancashire; near Patricroft r. station, 4½ mile WNW of Manchester. It has a post-office under Manchester. Pop., about 6,000. There are several good residences. Cotton manufacture and brick-making are carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £230.* Patron, the Vicar of Eccles. The church is plain. There are Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and the Manchester industrial schools.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Salford
- Worsley Rd, Congregational
- Trinity, Jane Lane, Congregational
- Holy Rood, Moorside Road , Church of England
- St Peter, Partington Lane, Church of England
- Mount Zion, Moorside Road , Independent Methodist
- Chorley Road, Primitive Methodist
- Manchester Road , Primitive Methodist
- Wardley Lane, Primitive Methodist
- Worsley Rd, United Methodist Free Church
- Manchester Road , Wesleyan Methodist
- St Paul, Station Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Bethesda Hall, Worsley Rd,
- Partington Lane, Latter Day Saints
- Moorside Road , Swedenborgian
- Jane Lane, Unitarian
- St Charles, Moorside Road , Roman Catholic
- St Mary, Swinton Hall Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Mary of the Immaculate Conception, Park Street, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Swinton area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
The Register Office covering the Swinton area is Salford
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Swinton which are provided by:
In 1835 Swinton was a chapelry in the township of Worsley
in the parish of Eccles
You can see the administrative areas
in which Swinton has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD776013 (Lat/Lon: 53.507897, -2.339228), Swinton which are provided by: