THORNHAM, a township in Middleton parish, Lancashire; 3½ miles S by W of Rochdale. Acres, 1,998. Real property, £8,018; of which £1,253 are in mines, and £15 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 1,510; in 1861, 2,027. Houses, 379. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton-mills. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)