Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Click on map to view parish boundaries in detail.
THORNTON, a chapelry and a township in Poulton-le-Fylde parish, Lancashire. The chapelry adjoins Fleetwood town and r. station, and has a post-office under Preston. Pop., 826. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £105. Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1835. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a free school. The township includes Fleetwood, and is noticed in our article on that town.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Local studies information is held at Poulton
- St George's Avenue, Cleveleys, Baptist
- Rossall Rd, United Reformed
- All Saints, North Drive, Anchorsholme, Church of England
- Christ Church, Meadows Ave, Church of England
- St Andrew, Rough Lea Rd, Cleveleys, Church of England
- St John the Evangelist, Stanah Road, Little Thornton, Church of England
- North Drive, Anchorsholme, Methodist
- Cleveleys Park, West Drive, Cleveleys, Methodist
- Fleetwood Rd, Primitive Methodist
- Wignall Memorial, Victoria Rd, Wesleyan Methodist
- Cleveleys Christian Centre, Ritherham Ave, Cleveleys, Assemblies of God
- Cumberland Chapel, North Drive, Cleveleys, Christian Brethren
- Leslie Avenue, Church of the Nazarene
- New Waters Christian Fellowship, Kensington Road, Cleveleys, Elim
- Kingdom Hall, Victoria Road West, Cleveleys, Jehovah's Witness
- Warren Drive, Thornton Cleveleys, Latter Day Saints
- Beach Road, Cleveleys, Spiritualist National Union
- Sacred Heart, Heys St, Roman Catholic
- St John Southworth, Northumberland Ave, Cleveleys, Roman Catholic
- St Nicholas Owen, Raikes Rd, Roman Catholic
- St Teresa, St George's Avenue, Cleveleys, Roman Catholic
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Thornton area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
You can see pictures of Thornton which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Thornton has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD340421 (Lat/Lon: 53.870892, -3.005263), Thornton which are provided by: