It was founded in 1812. The First Wesleyan Chapel in Thornton was a plain barn-like structure, whitewashed within & without and built in 1812. The 17 early Methodists in Thornton previously had held meetings in the cottage home of Nanny Greenwood. For 80 years this whitewashed chapel served the people. In 1892, another building was erected, later to be used as a Sunday School. This building served as the new church until a Mrs Janet Wignall of Fleetwood offered to build a new church as a memorial to her husband, the late Mr John Wignall J.P. In May 1905 Wignall Memorial Church was opened for worship.
The Wesleyan Methodist church was formed in the 18th century from religous societies founded by John Wesley and his preachers. It suffered many secessions, but was the largest Nonconformist denomination in the 19th century. In 1932 the Wesleyan Methodists joined with the Primitive Methodists and the United Methodists to form the Methodist Church of Great Britain.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches etc. themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.