TONGE, a township and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The township lies around Middleton r. station, adjacent to the SE side of Middleton. Post town, Middleton, under Manchester. Acres, 367. Real property, £10,774; of which £300 are in mines, £39 in ironworks, and £1,116 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,831; in 1861, 4,606. Houses, 953. The increase of pop. arose from extension of the cotton trade, and from erection of silk manufactories. The property is subdivided. The chapelry includes Alkrington township, and was constituted in 1835. Pop., 5,029. Houses, 1,030. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The church was built in 1839.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)