TONGE, a township and a chapelry in Prestwich parish, Lancashire. The township lies around Middleton r. station, adjacent to the SE side of Middleton. Post town, Middleton, under Manchester. Acres, 367. Real property, £10,774; of which £300 are in mines, £39 in ironworks, and £1,116 in gasworks. Pop. in 1851, 3,831; in 1861, 4,606. Houses, 953. The increase of pop. arose from extension of the cotton trade, and from erection of silk manufactories. The property is subdivided. The chapelry includes Alkrington township, and was constituted in 1835. Pop., 5,029. Houses, 1,030. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rector of Prestwich. The church was built in 1839.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Tonge area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.Rochdale. gazetteer for a calculation of the distance from Tonge to another place. Oldham. Tonge in the 19th century. maps of Tonge and places within its boundaries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SD885055 (Lat/Lon: 53.546003, -2.175032), Tonge which are provided by:
- This place shown on a Google map.
- Google Streetview
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Open StreetMap
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Best site for old maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- Elgin Road Works
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on a Google map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on a Google map.
- Nearby places shown on a Google map.